Shami Iqbal, AESC IDEA Award Recipient 2022
The AESC IDEA Award builds from the AESC Diversity Pledge by recognizing initiatives that demonstrate an exemplary commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity and access (or “IDEA”). These initiatives should be of sufficient significance and external impact to be recognized as excellent by the profession.
Shami Iqbal has more than 20 years of experience in the executive search profession providing private and public companies across all sectors with legal talent and leadership services, including succession planning and partner and business management hiring.
Shami has proven his deep commitment to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion within Spencer Stuart and beyond. For example,
- Shami initiated the first Spencer Stuart UK DE&I working group;
- Inspired the creation of the firm's first neurodiversity affinity group;
- Instigated a discussion series on topics from diversity leadership to mental health;
- Oversaw Spencer Stuart's participation in the General Counsel for Diversity & Inclusion initiative;
- Led the firm's involvement in a variety of strategic partnerships, including:
- Change the Race Ratio, an organization committed to increasing racial and ethnic participation in senior leadership;
- Empowering People of Colour (EPoC), a peer-to-peer network connecting high-potential leaders of colour with board chairs; and
- 10,000 Black Interns, a campaign to transform the horizons and prospects of young Black people in the UK.
- Nearly two-thirds of his placements in recent years have been female and/or from an ethnic minority background.
- Shami is also an active member of AESC’s Europe & Africa IDEA Council.
Learn more about AESC Awards or submit a nomination for a peer, colleague, or firm.