Sheffield Haworth is a global talent consulting firm advising customers on people and transformational change. Our aim is to help individuals and organisations realise their potential. Our solutions span Executive Search, Consulting, and Talent Development and Advisory across the Financial Services, Consulting, Technology and Services sectors.
Established in London in 1993, Sheffield Haworth has undergone significant growth and expansion, now employing over 140 professionals in 12 global offices throughout the Americas, Europe, Middle East and Asia Pacific regions, with a client list that includes a substantial number of leading global organisations.
The firm has grown through several successful acquisitions over the last few years. These include nbi consulting in 2017, forming the business and professional services practice; Gillamor Stephens in 2018, forming the Digital & Technology Practice; and most recently S&H Consulting in 2019, who provide independent consulting services as part of our consulting solutions capability.
At Sheffield Haworth we believe in providing an equal and inclusive working environment for all our employees. As a challenger consultancy around people and change, we actively encourage diversity of thought and we embrace and respect different cultures and backgrounds. This encourages diverse perspectives and different ways of doing things which reflects the needs of our customers and allows our business to evolve to be more agile and adaptable to different markets.
Sheffield Haworth Research Team
Sheffield Haworth has an in-house research team of multi-lingual associates based across our offices globally. The team produces in-depth research to support the placing of senior executives. They also provide valuable data and competitive analysis for our Research & Advisory business to help clients produce forward thinking hiring strategies.
Our associates have in-depth experience in financial markets research and are constantly networking with market professionals to build knowledge on candidate pools, market & product trends, diversity statistics, migration patterns, headcount and compensation. In addition to providing support in their own region, associates will also provide expertise to counterparts in other offices on cross border assignments where there is a requirement to find candidates in several geographical regions.
At Sheffield Haworth associates are fully involved in the search process from the inception of an assignment to completion. Where possible, Associates will attend the initial briefing through to mapping and networking with the universe of candidates, and finally supporting the consultant in presenting the shortlist of candidates to the client. This close working relationship enables Associates to fully understand the culture of the client organization, the requirements for each project and to help tailor the research process to the client.
Our strong research capability has enabled Sheffield Haworth to consistently deliver a large number of complex assignments for our clients globally and enabled us to build a considerable track record of achievement over 20 years.
Overview of the Role
Associates at Sheffield Haworth are responsible for all aspects of research and in their product area. In addition, they will be expected to proactively assist Consultants with marketing, pitching and candidate management.
Associates provide support to their consultant(s) in the following capacity -
- Knowledge Management & Desk Research
- Telephone work
- Written Work
- Candidate & Client Interaction
- Business Development
Associates may be assigned to a specific financial products division which will be their primary focus. However, Associates may also be required to work on projects from more than one product division, geographic region and in conjunction with counterparts on cross-border assignments.
Associates will be expected to provide research support as a priority as well as working on assignment work and other tasks outlined below. Whilst the focus of the role is to provide research support, the consultants are supportive for the Associate to build their knowledge, network, and expertise in their relevant sectors of focus.
The Position Profile
- Read online subscriptions, create newsfeeds and keep abreast of important stories about clients, key developments, changes to company structures, executive moves and themes and trends in the product space. Where relevant share information with colleagues across the Group.
- Record all executive moves in the practice group folder and on the database and alert colleagues to key changes.
- Ensure best practice is deployed when using the company database. Ensure all information gathered is entered and that all new and updated entries follow the company minimum requirements are correctly skill coded and that contact logs reflect conversations and meetings.
- Take ownership for practice group folder on the network ensuring that all data is archived efficiently and accessible to all colleagues.
- Structure organograms from scratch as required to be used as part of the delivery of research to the client or for mapping purposes.
- Develop an understanding of your product space and other product areas across the group. Build your profile within the practice group and contribute insights to group practice meetings.
- Formulate the research strategy identifying and prioritising all target companies.
- Demonstrate analytical thinking by collating an optimal target list of candidates and sources using tools such as Bloomberg, Linkedin and Invenias.
- Communicate your research strategy clearly to the consultant, including the design for the ‘Research Presentation’.
- Understand the competencies of the role you are pitching, the client and be fully briefed before embarking on the phone research phase.
- Create a list of questions to ask candidates to gain additional information on market themes and trends. Prepare a guide/crib sheet to help you pitch the role to candidates.
- Produce the client facing ‘Research Presentation’ which demonstrates that the universe (100+ people) has been fully mapped and that all candidates have been profiled.
- Carve out the top 10-15 shortlisted candidates and ensure more detailed biographies or CVs are available for client review.
- Ensure that all names on the list have been checked for spelling and their company is accurate.
- Ensure all biographical information is accurate and that profiles written in a consistent style.
- Work proactively with consultants to prepare presentations for client pitches. This may include market/product analysis, competitor structures, organisational charts, salary/benefits information and any other bespoke research required.
- Following pitches, write detailed proposal documents and job specifications which reflect the client company, the requirements of the role and an understanding of the market.
- As required deliver Research & Advisory projects on topics such as perception analysis, compensation, diversity and headcount, team structures, product analysis.
- Map the ‘universe’ for an assignment by networking extensively on the telephone with sources and candidates. During the cycle of a search calls will include identification, sourcing, profiling and headhunting candidates through to delivering feedback following meetings and finally ‘closing off’ unsuitable candidates at the end of the process.
- Pitch roles to candidates and sources with confidence and conviction, build rapport whilst obtaining information required.
- Obtain detailed career information over the telephone that can be converted into concise biographies including information on product, client base, geographical coverage, key responsibilities, profit & loss data, dates, job titles and wider team information.
- When pitching roles manage candidate objections or defer to the consultant if necessary.
- Exercise judgement making skills in order to develop only the most suitable candidates in the market against set requirements and competencies. Develop probing skills and identify the candidate’s motivations to move, also known as ‘pull and push’ factors.
- Where necessary speak with candidates and sources outside normal business/trading hours.
Candidate & Client Interaction
- Attend candidate interviews with the consultant leading and take detailed notes.
- During candidate meetings demonstrate knowledge on your product area and communicate in a professional manner adhering to correct protocol regarding discrimination.
- Proactively meet candidates or sources you have built a good rapport with on the telephone and in doing so develop a group of reliable sources.
- Arrange candidate meetings with consultant.
- Attend client pitches and contribute when necessary.
- Take detailed notes in order to prepare the initial draft of the proposal or job description for review.
- Create a positive impression with clients, be willing to contribute in meetings and demonstrate your knowledge by communicating the ‘research process’ to clients.
- Assist the consultant in delivering the ‘Research Presentation’ to the client, presenting candidate profiles as required.
- Cover the desk and respond to queries from the client in the absence of the consultant.
- Arrange candidate meetings with client.
- Attend client pitches and support the consultant.
- Stay alert to potential business development opportunities when reading industry publications and familiarise yourself with hiring trends.
- Seek out obvious gaps in your mappings/org charts and alert the consultant.
- Understand your practice group track record, clients, key placements and off limits.
- Stay informed about your consultant(s) work in developing clients and keep abreast of activity in your practice group including other offices.
- Bright, articulate (both oral and written) and well presented.
- Well organised with a calm, unflappable temperament.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- First rate organisational skills.
- Proactive, willing, and adaptable.
- A good team player.
- A strong Chinese speaker.
Salary and Benefits
- This is a permanent full-time position.
- Competitive Salary dependent on skill/ experience.
- Office hours are 9.00am to 6.00pm.
- Discretionary Bonus Award